Ahhhh…the Christmas Holidays! My favourite time of year. The holidays bring me so much joy with days filled with warmth and cheer, bringing my family together to do what we do best – drink. Haha! Among our many traditions is blasting Christmas carols while putting up our huge Christmas tree while sipping on a cup of warm, mulled wine.
The thing I like best about this recipe, other than the fact that is tastes wonderful, is that it fills your home with the spicy aromas of orange, clove and cinnamon. Along with gingerbread and eggnog, this holiday tipple is a hit in our household and I promise you, if you make this for a holiday potluck dinner, you will be a hero. Now, this recipe packs a bit of a punch, so remember to drink responsibly!
- One bottle of good, full and flavourful red wine such as Shiraz or Merlot
- 3-4 cinnamon sticks
- One long curl of orange zest, peeled off the orange using a vegetable peeler
- 4 tbsp of sugar (optional)
- 1 star anise
- 5 whole cloves
- 1/3 cup of cognac
- Pour the bottle of wine into a large saucepan. Add the rest of the ingredients to the saucepan. Bring almost to a boil, but do not let it boil! Turn down the heat to low and let it simmer gently.
- The mulled wine is ready when the sugar is dissolved. You may keep the wine in the saucepan on low heat to keep it warm. I like to serve the wine in heat proof cups with handles such as pretty copper mugs.